17,307 14
Applaud1Criticize

For those wondering about No Contact as a good policy, the answer cannot be found cruising through chat forums. Your situation is unique. This is love. It is nothing to do with power, or how tough you are, or burning memories of your sweetheart. Relationships end and rekindle all the time.

No Contact doesn’t help a situation. You might get her back through jealousy but that is not a strong foundation for the future. My advice is to tell her you want some time apart, just to breathe, and to respect her wishes for a little space. Maybe 3 weeks or so. Let the emotions calm down. Then perhaps meet for coffee. Just have a few laughs together. You have to normalize your emotions.

You will know if you truly want this woman or man once the physical lust has subsided. But in terms of getting back together, it takes time, but don’t let fear get in the way. Put your pride aside. Get the ego out of the way. Truly understand how she feels, and let her take the wheel for now. Maturity, and your inner peace will stand you head and shoulders above any competitor.

Since most relationships blow up at some point, and most dates are a disaster, and since it is so hard to find that rare gem you could be with forever, don’t worry that you will be replaced too quickly. You won’t be. Trust in yourself. Be brave enough to get real with her, yet please retain your self respect.

Concentrate on yourself for now. Use this emotional time to write, or do something creative, workout, take photographs, kick **** at work, use all that time to get back on top. Just remember that one day, she will be back. Very young girls need to explore. Let them. But check in from time to time. Don’t lose touch. Let them feel endlessly comfortable and loved by you. In the end, they will see the light.

.

• rocket0512: Wow this really helped alot! So during that "3 week break" are you saying NC or periodically contact eachother?
  • vladivostok391: Wow, that was well-written, insightful, and yet so simple. You’re absolutely right - "Let them feel endlessly comfortable and loved by you. In the end, they will see the light."
  • taj012: as are you saying that we should tell our ex that we are planning to not talk to them? I wasn’t planning on doing No Contact for more than a few weeks anyways, but you suggest that we give them a heads up?
  • banshee: I wouldn’t announce that I was going NC. I would just do it.
  • landscapelad: yep all sounds cool until they call you off a private number crying that’s the flaw in the plan my friends!!!!!!
  • banshee: NC should be used to get yourself over a breakup, period. That is the only guaranteed good you’ll get out of it. I guess it MIGHT coincidentally make the other person miss you, but that is just playing games. Then again, dating and flirting are also games in their own way. Some of us just play them better than others.
  • Igo: I agree with Loveandpeace....NC works for some, not others. My ex gf dumped me almost a month ago, and going NC was my only option since she blocked my number (for HER benefit, not because I blew up her phone) and since I don’t have Facebook, it’s a moot point to "stalk" her page.
    Some people (like my ex gf) view NC with indifference because they know that the other person misses them and would kill or die to hear from them at any given time, however.... I know my ex gf and her mentality right now is, "Don’t know, don’t care." She’s not like that to be mean since SHE broke up with me; she just has to protect her heart and keep from caving in instead of moving on. Like banshee said, "It MIGHT make the other person miss you, but that is just playing games."
    Takeaway key issue: Miss them, cry over the loss, pick yourself up and focus on yourself and trust in love.
  • evan9126: NC has worked in a situtation very similair to the one i am in now. (read my post if need be, actually if anyone can please help id love any real assistance) however it just feels a little bit different this time. also it is much harder as we still live together and cant really change that situation right now for financial reasons. Also, i dont believe its so much playing games as in giving the other person time and space, as well as what they ask for. if they know you still love them and they are a decent person at all, they will see that. i know its extremely difficult to concentrate on anything else. (as i said im going through a similar situation now). in my personal opinion i like a "modified" NC policy. each case is different and it taylors to an individual relationships needs and personality. the trick now is to heed my own advice. ive helped numerous relationships in the past and it seems the only one i can help ever is my own.
  • bluefish: Well I Can Say For My Self, I Was With The Same Girl For Years Like 14 Years. We Both Loved Each Other Every Min Together. We Have Two Kids Together. One Day Out Of The Blue, She Said I Think We Would Be Happier Apart. Wow Are You Kidding Me, Blown My Mind. So Anyhow I Didn’t Want To Get Mad But I Did, I Didn’t Want To Act Like A 14 Year Old Boy But I Did. I Know What I Did Wrong, And I Am Working On This Issue. I Can’t Go NC On Her Because Of The KidS So We Still Talk Every Day. Take The Kids To The Park So On And So on. Well When We Talk I Try Not To Talk About Us, It Comes Up Here And There, it’s Been A Month Since We Have Been Apart. I Miss Her Like Rain In The Dessert. The Most Luck I I Have Had Is Just A Simple Text, Saying I Hope Your Ok Have A Good Day....Call Me If You Get Board___Or Have A GoodNight Thinking of YOU!!! MISS YOU A BUNCH. SO IF THERE IS ONLY THING I CAN TELL EVERYONE HERE KEEP YOUR HEAD UP....Im Sure I Can Win Her Back. But Time Is A Big Factor. O And The Issue Was Nothing Bad Just My Stress level. So Into The First Place Don’t Take You’re Better Half For GranitE. Any Advice Would Be Helpful. Sorry About The Caps I Don’t Know What’s Going On hahaha
  • António: For me it worked! , I got her back after 6 weeks of No Contact!
    But I think that it works if you really use it to work on yourself, so when you confront your ex you are as open as possible but in control of your emotions and thoughts.
    Somehow I think that you have to use that period to rebuild your own structure alone, and become ( even if it looks strange ), capable of being alone, not needing your ex to be happy.
    This is paradoxal, but I believe that’s the only option you have.
    You have to deal with the unknown and allow yourself to trust that if it’s meant to be it will be!
    Best
  • Johnny Nicks: Antonio, how do you know she would not have come back anyhow? And dont take this the wrong way, but it is not getting back that is the issue, it is staying together, which means fixing what went wrong last time. Good luck.
  • banshee:

If you do no contact and the ex comes back, it’s highly likely he or she was coming back anyway, because they *wanted* to come back - not because you stopped talking to them. When you think of it, NC is not the behavior of someone who hopes for a rekindled relationship. It’s the behavior of someone who accepts that it’s over and wants to get over his ex. If that isn’t you, don’t do NC. It’s much better to stay in touch now and then, even if you’re not sure you want to get back with your ex. Talking is better than not talking if you want to be on good terms with someone. 

• henry: I really struggle to allow those 3 weeks to move away. My thing is, I know I love this woman and I know she loved me as much as I do. Things have changed but it can be salvaged I think. I usually give a couple hours no contact with a woman I do not want to lose. I feel if I get everything out right away, leaving her with those thoughts of how much I long for her.She will come back to me if she is meant for me. We have been through 2 almost breakups before this one. But this is the first time she didn’t come back within a couple hours and I fear I have dug myself into a hole. Yet I still feel if she truly thinks and realizes how good things can be we can come back with a fresh start.
  • pinkypie: I dont agree with the no contact thing...i think its childish to be honest. I think that if youre really trying to get over someone, its the only thing you can do. But if youre wanting a reconciliation its not great. I think to limit contact is good. And to be friendly. But if you text or call with no reply...dont bother them. Let them.contact you. Its best to defriend/unfollow from social media...etc...that will torture you. But dont cut off compleat contact.