We Are About To Release Another Graphical Upgrade

Hi everyone,

In the upcoming days we are about to release another graphical upgrade to our sites. The goal of this upgrade is to make the sites cleaner, more attractive and more efficient. Learning from previous experience, we decided to announce this upgrade a few days in advance as well as point about some key changes to the screens, to save you the time adapting to those changes. Before actually releasing the upgrade we will reply to this topic.

As always, the upgrade is released as an a/b test only to a selected number of sites (MAC, DYI, RT, GVB and AC). During the test some of you are going to get the older version while others the new version. At the end of the test we will compare the usage statistics between the two versions (e.g. number of shares, signups, answers, etc.) to see which of the versions is more attractive to most of you.

While this methodology is great to gather your overall preference, it does not allow us to find specific issues or annoyances we might have introduced with this new version. If you find something that annoys you or otherwise you believe should be changed, please let us know about it and we will either fix it on the spot or issue a follow up test for the fix.

A preview MAC blog on a mobile

A preview MAC blog on a tablet

A preview MAC blog on a PC

For those of you who can't wait, you can see any page as seen on the new version by adding ?tstyle=rt to the page url, for example https://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-can-i-anchor-plants-to-the-bottom-of-the-aquarium-can-i-use-lead-weights-to-anchor-the-plants-18188.html?tstyle=rt

So what did we do?

General

We removed the right column from pages focused on other actions, such as sign-in or asking questions. In addition, we completely removed the Ask Box even on pages including the right column.

We changed the colors of the top bar as well as of the links. New links appear in light blue and visited links appear in dark grayish blue.

Top bar

We moved the functions of the top bar to the left on PCs, gathered them under a humburger icon on mobiles and tablets.

In addition on mobile and tablets we added a "pen" button appearing at the bottom right at all times, allowing you to use all the "new" options that were available at the top bar.

Home page

We removed the right column, added more space to the featured blogs and divided the Latest Activity section into three columns, still having the newer messages at the top.

Topic pages

We changed the action icons (e.g. send a private message, etc) as well as the icons marking the user ranks. In addition we changed the voting functions to +1 (vote up) and -1 (vote down) and moved them to the bottom of the message.

We removed the "quick reply" function, added more share options to share messages and gathered all the infrequent message functions (e.g. quote, edit, moderation functions, etc.) under one "more" link.

Blog pages

We added the voting functions to the top bar.

Your feedback is not just welcomed, but required

As mentioned earlier we would very much like to hear your feedback! If you have something to say, please do not hesitate to reply to this topic!

If you really don't like the new version, we advise to give 4 days of trial, and if after that you still feel it is unbearable use this link to go back to the old version.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Mickey.

Sponsored Links
Posted on Site feedback
admin avatar
2 months ago #2
admin
Ace
Blogs: 2
Forum: 1,150
Votes: 4

If you didn't yet test drive the new version, we strongly encourage you to do it and send over your feedback. We worked hard and made it possible for you to test it before it is even released, so we can gather your feedback pre-releasing and fix any show stoppers if you find anything disturbing.

To use this option, on any of the sites, just add "?tstyle=rt" at the end of any page address and see how it looks. Below you can see an image that shows you how to do it.

I would strongly advise to check out at least a blog page, a forum page and the homepage. Of course you can test any other page as well.

Take care and have fun 😊
Mickey

Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #3
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

Hi Mickey

Thanks for letting us know.

Waiting to see what it means to me. Do all users have to have the same experience or can experts / mods and Admins have a different tailor made experience?

Take care 😊

Sponsored Links
admin avatar
2 months ago #4
admin
Ace
Blogs: 2
Forum: 1,150
Votes: 4

The features on the site stays the same so in this regards different user types still have a different experience. In terms of the graphics it is supporting the various features.

Does this what you mean?

Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #5
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

I think so..

Thanks.

admin avatar
2 months ago #6
admin
Ace
Blogs: 2
Forum: 1,150
Votes: 4

Hi everyone and many thanks for your insightful feedback! We have already made changes resulting out of it, and added many others for future followup tests.

As some of you likely noticed, we released the test of the new version on MAC, DYI, RT, GVB and AC. It is now starting to collect usage data and compare it between the new and older versions.

In addition, you can compare how a specific page looks on the different versions on all sites. It is a very interesting experience and I encourage you to give it a try. To do it, open the page on a new tab and add tstyle=normal to see the page on the older version or tstyle=rt to see it on the new version.

Looking forward to hear what you think,
Mickey.

Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #7
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

I realise you have probably worked very hard on the new version Mickey, and it looks nice, but Im finding it rather cumbersome to navigate.

I liked to see the latest posts in a column and be able to access unanswered questions rather than have to keep flicking between the two, by hitting the menu button for relationshiptalk all the way at the top of the page is now.

Can you make often used navigation buttons closer together?

Im not sure about the +1 -1 ..I think red green thumbs were clearer, I'm worried people will just click on them for no reason so see what they do..

The all white is a bit bright, empty and clinical on the top contributer profile pages.

Why have all the unused space each side of the middle column but have to scroll down to see below when it could all be seen at once of you made the text columns wider? It takes longer to navigate.

I like the option of actually seeing information on two pages and not having to click on hamburgers. The coloured shields next to names dont "mean" anything unless you "hover " over them. Why would people do that if they are not sufficently defined?

Why cant we see "latest posts" on all pages we navigate? Surely the priority is to have these answered so why not?

Im having to type in this box without seeing what Im typing as it is not scrolling down automatically as I type.

But Im no expert on web design and dont use any similar site so I dont know how it compares, but I do get frustrated if I cant more effectively do what I was quite happily doing before.. To me the new design, is a new design, it may be sleeker and simpler for some, but its not making things any more efficient or functionally easier for me😉

Sponsored Links
Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #8
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

Can we have answered questions on the unanswered questions page?

Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #9
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

What happened to the date / time stamp on unanswered questions?

admin avatar
2 months ago #10
admin
Ace
Blogs: 2
Forum: 1,150
Votes: 4

A important point before I start -- a good looking design is important, but it can not come on the expense of efficiency. If you had a way of doing something and you feel your efficiency was damaged, it is our responsibility to find a way for you to do things as efficient as before, and if we can't find it, to code it.

Different people use the site in different ways. In order to help you or know what to code, I may need to ask you some questions so I understand how do you use the site.

That said I will try to cover all the points. If you feel I've missed something, please do not hesitate to point it out.

I liked to see the latest posts in a column and be able to access unanswered questions rather than have to keep flicking between the two

I don't think I understand. Can you please explain?

Definitely once I understand what do you need.

+1 -1 ..I think red green thumbs were clearer, I'm worried people will just click on them for no reason so see what they do..

The links open a popup asking for the feedback. If people will click them accidentally I don't think they will submit the feedback form.

The all white is a bit bright, empty and clinical on the top contributer profile pages ... Why have all the unused space each side of the middle column but have to scroll down to see below when it could all be seen at once of you made the text columns wider? It takes longer to navigate.

Can you please reply with a screenshot of the area you feel is too much white spaced? https://www.relationshiptalk.net/faqs/general-faq.html#howto_screen_shot

I like the option of actually seeing information on two pages and not having to click on hamburgers.

What do you by "two pages"?

The coloured shields next to names dont "mean" anything

This point was raised on another site as well. If you ask most users they will never know what is the meaning of the "S", "T", "V", or "O" on a shields. Many will also not guess what is the "A" or "M" and even if they do, they will not know the difference. On the other hand a check on a shield is a standard for "passed". Out of curiosity, I'm adding to the todo a follow up test comparing shields with checks vs. shields with letters.

Nothing like a good common sense... 😊
A question -- on which pages did you use the Latest Activity list?

A bug -- we will fix that on a top priority.

Again I'm not I understand you. Do you mean to have a page with the answered and unanswered posts, like the Latest Activity?

It was never there. Do you need it? On some slower sites it may deter users from answering on older questions. https://www.relationshiptalk.net/unanswered-questions/?tstyle=normal

Thanks for the terrific feedback!!
Mickey.

admin avatar
2 months ago #11
admin
Ace
Blogs: 2
Forum: 1,150
Votes: 4

Fixed.

avatar
2 months ago #12
SomebodyElse
Guest

Mickey, everything looks nice to me. But (of course there is a "but"!) There used to be a notification of the number of new questions there were in each category. But I don't know if that is visible to ordinary users. I've seen users helping each other on various threads, and it might be useful for everyone to see where there are unanswered questions.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
jade avatar
2 months ago #13
jade
Master
Blogs: 1
Forum: 4,460
Votes: 71

You are right. The number of new questions appear only when I'm signed in. Maybe other members are able to see it too but it isn't needed for guests. Again, the new name you are using is already familiar. You can sign up and use it for your new account 😊

avatar
2 months ago #14
SomebodyElse
Guest

😊

avatar
2 months ago #15
SomebodyElse
Guest

Hi, Jade and everybody.

I tried last night to register as SomebodyElse, but I got an error message. I sent you a screenshot. I just tried again this morning, and got the same message. I was using a new email account I set up last NIGHT, just for RT.

Where is the "blushing" emoji when I need it?

SomebodyElse avatar
2 months ago #16
SomebodyElse
Ace
Blogs: 1
Forum: 1,144
Votes: 34

Ah, now it works. I needed to use a different browser.

Baron A. avatar
2 months ago #17
Baron A.
Meister
Blogs: 71
Forum: 53,500
Votes: 1,723

I was just about to say instead of trying to log in as Somebodyelse just log in as you and it would be okay...😁

Sponsored Links
SomebodyElse avatar
2 months ago #18
SomebodyElse
Ace
Blogs: 1
Forum: 1,144
Votes: 34

Lol, Baron. I tried being me, but I have to be Somebody Else! 😊

Baron A. avatar
2 months ago #19
Baron A.
Meister
Blogs: 71
Forum: 53,500
Votes: 1,723

😊 Whatever you are comfortable with... Lol!

SomebodyElse avatar
2 months ago #20
SomebodyElse
Ace
Blogs: 1
Forum: 1,144
Votes: 34

I think my old account is orbiting somewhere in space. But I'll answer to almost anything!

Baron A. avatar
2 months ago #21
Baron A.
Meister
Blogs: 71
Forum: 53,500
Votes: 1,723

😃

SomebodyElse avatar
2 months ago #22
SomebodyElse
Ace
Blogs: 1
Forum: 1,144
Votes: 34

I keep reading this thread title as "We Are About to Release Another Geographical Update." 🤓

Sponsored Links
Baron A. avatar
2 months ago #23
Baron A.
Meister
Blogs: 71
Forum: 53,500
Votes: 1,723

Some dyslexia happening there? LOL!

Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #24
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

@SE, <adjusting glasses>, so what does “Geographical update” mean for you? 😉

SomebodyElse avatar
2 months ago #25
SomebodyElse
Ace
Blogs: 1
Forum: 1,144
Votes: 34

@Baron and Johnny, I may need new glasses. It's been years since my last checkup.

@Johnny, now that I think about it, it doesn't mean anything I'm conscious of. I can't speak for my unconscious 😊

Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #26
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

It was your unconscious I was trying to connect with 😉

SomebodyElse avatar
2 months ago #27
SomebodyElse
Ace
Blogs: 1
Forum: 1,144
Votes: 34

Well, if it's unconscious, how then would I know? 😋

I'm beginning to think I don't have a subconscious mind. It's all scattered around everywhere!

Sponsored Links
Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #28
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

Im sure you do 😊

Baron A. avatar
2 months ago #29
Baron A.
Meister
Blogs: 71
Forum: 53,500
Votes: 1,723

Well good then, come to think of it, I may need to go check out my eyes, too much social media.

Johnny Nicks avatar
2 months ago #30
Johnny Nicks
Meister
Blogs: 107
Forum: 44,802
Votes: 1,614

Mickey, can we have the footer / signature back please?

Also can we have the unanswered questions on the same page as the answered page and vice versa?

Many thanks.

By entering this site you declare you are 18 or older, you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility. Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Relationship Talk